Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Why I Run



I wrote the free association exercise below in response to Another Mother Runner’s call for “Why I Run” story submissions.  I wasn’t going to submit anything at all, feeling that my story’s not all that interesting or motivational.  Running itself isn’t a new thing for me; I’ve worked moderately hard to be fit most of my life; I haven’t overcome illness or major injury to get where I am today… my running journey’s pretty darned blah compared to some others out there.

But when I really started thinking about it – about why I run – answers kept coming at me like an all-out assault from the cavalry.  Turns out, I run for a lot of reasons.  I’ll share them here and pass the question along.

Why do you run?

I run… to feel the breeze against my face,

To wave to my neighbors,

To see the family of ospreys nesting down the road.


I run… to hear my footsteps quicken against the pavement,

To show my child how to work toward a goal,

To burn off last night’s cupcake.


I run… to clear my mind,

To get away from pressure and stress,

To find a happy place inside.


I run… to keep a healthy heart,

To beat last month’s pace,

To make a difference in someone else’s life.


I run… to see shiny medals around my neck,

To feel a deep, inner sense of pride,

To feel pain and joy and exhaustion and know that I am alive.


I run…
Because I can.

http://assets3.razoo.com/assets/media/images/000/019/312/images/size_550x415_woman-running-at-sunset.png?1303420431

1 comment:

  1. Just found your blog!! Im a Florida Gal too!! Great job, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete